About Me

My photo
hello my name is jessica, but jess is what i am known as !I survived my first year at university and am now working hard in my second year at my textiles degree! I come from a large family, so theres always something to blog about right?! Primarily it'll be my textiles work, but somedays i may just be too busy to write about my hectic day! Happy, busy days!

Wednesday 29 August 2012

I finally have a bike with a basket!

After a good few months of searching, i started to think i may not be able to get one for a while! However today was a brand new day and i decided i would go along to Arminghall car boot sale in Norwich. I wasn't looking for a bike in particular just anything that would grab my eye and i came across several things. There was one stall that was full of sewing bits and pieces from trimmings, bobbins to threads to an actual sewing machine. I picked up a free embroidery hoop(50p) and 2 reels of cotton (25p each!) It was a real bargain day. Then we came to an old stall with suitcases for £25, old stools, curtain poles and a bike. I saw the other prices for things and didn't have high hopes for the bike but we asked anyway and they were asking for £45! We knocked them down to £40 which is such a bargain i cannot believe it!! The basket itself sells on ebay for well above £30 so it was well worth £40. Also what makes it better is that it is an authentic Elswick hopper bicycle, and dates i think 1950/60s so it's in it's true form and has all the characteristics from it's age which is what i wanted. I didn't mind rust, it has michelin wheels, elswick pedals and seat and has the traditional braking system and the original gear changer (3 gears all in all). I have been looking around various sites and you can pay anything over £100 for the bikes. I have missed out on a few that have gone for £50/£60 which i thought was a bargain, so too get it for a mere £40 was just amazing! It has 26" wheels, chain guard and the beautifully shaped handlebars where they curve round too you. Cannot believe my thrifty bargains today, so happy right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment