About Me

My photo
hello my name is jessica, but jess is what i am known as !I survived my first year at university and am now working hard in my second year at my textiles degree! I come from a large family, so theres always something to blog about right?! Primarily it'll be my textiles work, but somedays i may just be too busy to write about my hectic day! Happy, busy days!

Thursday 12 April 2012

Flamingo drawings

My goal today was too clear up and use all of my pre-printed paper with drawings,and because i had all of these new photos of flamingos this was perfect!

I drew a similiar picture to what i had previously done where i had looked at the different postures:


This was my favourite part of the drawing,due to the position of the birds overlapping and the organic shapes and lines that they have made. I am also liking this due to the fact that i captured the flamingo showing its feathers, i waited awhile to get that image !! The feathers look like layered pleats!

I liked this image so much i decided to do a drawing of it enlarged covering a whole piece of paper of just this, and created it using oil pastel for a another use of media:


It's amazing how an image can change depending on what the background looks like and what textures it contains. This paper is slightly dip dyed which corresponds with the idea of the colour changing layers of feathers...
After seeing the effects of different textures i decided to draw a flamingos head and completley enlarge it to capture more detail. I did this onto a feather printed background so that was subtly showing through.

I was pleased with the colours i captured but thought it looked strange and something wasn't right with the way it was cut off at the neck. So i added another piece of paper of a different texture and colour of orange procion dye that i could extend down to draw a complete flamingo....

I do like this; at first it looks slightly disorientated but once you really look and see it does match! Flamingos have orange in them so corresponds and highlights the body of the bird and the dull brown accentuates the pinks! I like how the paper isn't matched as it shows a bit of risk and it breaks boundaries of the paper borders! Therefore making it free, birds are free in the way that they can fly and are light.

It makes sense to me anyway!

Jess x

No comments:

Post a Comment