About Me

My photo
hello my name is jessica, but jess is what i am known as !I survived my first year at university and am now working hard in my second year at my textiles degree! I come from a large family, so theres always something to blog about right?! Primarily it'll be my textiles work, but somedays i may just be too busy to write about my hectic day! Happy, busy days!

Monday 8 October 2012

I choose drawing over computers anyday!

Today- a start of a brand new week and we had a very fun, fast-paced drawing workshop this morning which i thoroughly enjoyed. We had to draw observational flowers, the print market today is made up of 90% floral designs. I do love florals as they are quirky, beautiful and easy to draw. However saying that i do not want to do my degree to make up that 90% off people, i would like to stand out in my own right with my different designs and be part of that 10%.

We made about 7 or 8 different drawings off different flowers in different perspectives concerntrating on the marks that we saw. What was interesting about this exercise was it was a way of teaching us how to understand different types of prints and what better way to just do and not think. This way of drawing has opened my eyes up to the possibilities and opportunities im missing out on spending time bein precious with my work,when some of the work i deem most successful is when i havent had time to question my thoughts and i have just 'done it'.
We then had to trace over our drawings several times, in order for us to make a half drop repeat enabling us to still see underneath it.
 
 With our drawings traced out and drawn we could then play around to create our repeats, this is what my outcome was:
I quite like it due to the combination of chunky designs mixed in with linear prints as it allows each design to be accentuated within it's own right. I would like to put this onto a screen though i will talk to the technicians about it to make sure that it would be successful or not too do it. Fingers crossed i will be able too! I would have to be taught how to print a half drop as a lot of calculations go into printing a full drop! Because i enjoyed this so much i decided to make some of the half drop repeats onto some of my previous drawings:
This is not a half drop repeat but it is a 'mirrored' repeat something else which we briefly touched upon but i wanted to take it further to widen my knowledge.
Half drop of 2 types of flowers.
 
 
Photoshop.

The second part of our day was learning photoshop skills. Well this was certainly a challenge i spent the hour and a half being able to work out how to cut and copy using mac software (something i am not familiar with) and learning shortcuts and am still not confident enough to be able to just 'do it'. So i was not going to be defeated by a computer and took the learning sheets home by emailing them to myself and going through step by step on my home laptop on photoshop cs5 (rather than cs6 - what the university has installed but i am reassured that this is practically the same system!) It still hasn't been easy and has been harder without someone elses knowledge to steer me in the right direction but i have made one half drop repeat design. It is very basic but didn't want to 'run before i could walk' so with new drawings that i will make, and newimagery hopefully i will build up my confidence to produce more effective repeat prints. Photoshop is such a good skill to have, due to the complexity only few know how to use it. Most industry, companys and business who are in the design industry will make full use of its potential.
 
It's a combination of pegs and flowers! Part of my original drawings and new drawings made today. Tomorrow i am going to look into it's negative space as i have learnt that this is just as important as the subject matter itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment