About Me

My photo
hello my name is jessica, but jess is what i am known as !I survived my first year at university and am now working hard in my second year at my textiles degree! I come from a large family, so theres always something to blog about right?! Primarily it'll be my textiles work, but somedays i may just be too busy to write about my hectic day! Happy, busy days!

Thursday 18 October 2012

Artist inspiration: Grayson Perry

Grayson Perry.
 
Over the Rainbow
"Over the Rainbow"
2001
 
As part of my contextual studies on Monday and as part of my learning from year 1 i learnt to take inspiration from not only textiles/fashion designers but from artists, architects, books/stories and everything else! Inspiration doesn't have to come from something that has already been done, but something that triggers something in your brain, to form your own unique ideas.
I have been online again looking for artist research (as part of my 5 internet research artists!). I remember looking at Graysons Perrys' work in A level and knew that he had focused on autibiographical/childhood events. His work doesn't appeal to me visually but his context is far more interesting for me. I like my work to have a strong sense of personailty i don't want to do it because i 'have to' but because each piece has a mini story, a small part of me, a thought about idea that has turned into something.
"In his work Perry reflects upon his upbringing as a boy, his stepfather's anger and the absence of proper guidance about male conduct. Perry's understanding of the roles in his family is portrayed in Using My Family, from 1998, where a teddy bear provides affection, and the contemporaneous The Guardians, which depicts his mother and stepfather."
Golden Ghosts
"golden ghosts" - 2000.

In this Grayson has portrayed unhappy expressions on little girls faces contrasted with beautoful scenic landscapes. He has hidden meanings within each of his objects. The girl in the gold dress is of his alter ego Claire and is described as his 'coming out dress' mirroring the time of when he 'came out' within a period of his life. He has visually intepretated and displayed/documented his life through imagery.
Two Children Born on the Same Day
"two children born on the same day"
1996.
 
In his work it is also very political on the saatchi gallery, i quote:
"Perry reveals ‘One of the reasons I dress up as a woman is my low self-esteem, to go with the image of women being seen as second class…It is like pottery: that’s seen as a second-class thing too’."
 
Also to link it back to my theme of childhood,although all of his vases are not of childhood scenes, they are revealing his feelings from when he was a child and going through different stages in his life. He is looking back and conveying personal emotions through art when in my opinion he feels that it is time and he is ready for his voice to be heard, something of which he may not of had.

No comments:

Post a Comment