About Me

My photo
hello my name is jessica, but jess is what i am known as !I survived my first year at university and am now working hard in my second year at my textiles degree! I come from a large family, so theres always something to blog about right?! Primarily it'll be my textiles work, but somedays i may just be too busy to write about my hectic day! Happy, busy days!

Monday 15 October 2012

Inspiration: Emma Lundgren

Future Folklore print:
Future Folklore Print
Emma Lundgren is a Sweden born fashion and textile designer and graduated with a first class honours textile degree from Central Saint Martins.
I particularly like her as she infuses her past (Sweden) with her present with contemporary London influences. Which is something i am going to try to achieve within my upcoming work.
She has used typical scandinavian design patterns like cross stitch and horses with a playful colourful twist so she provokes a feeling of the past and the future - typical design with contemporary colours.
Future Folklore Print 
I really like this piece as it is very geometric and routine but looking closely it is hard to tell were the repeat pattern starts and finishes and this is a aim that we have had with our recent repeat project. It has been very thought about to me it looks mathematical. I like her use of colours, she has broken up the background with a invisible line from red to white. The pattern of the broken square shapes helps with this transition. My eyes dart across the whole of the fabric due to the broken shapes however my eye is first drawn to the rythmic look of the statement flowers. To me this broken shapes that descend down the page is a way of translating visually that something has broken down, something has changed from it's original state. - Links to the idea of things change from past to present.
 
Emma Lundgren for Tokion Magazine.
Emma Lundgren<br />for Tokion Magazine
"Blend past and future by constructing a future folklore hat for Tokion Magazine Reincarnation Issue 2009"

Emma Lundgren again has used the idea of past and future within her work but within sculpture this time. She has used old tablecloths, re-using materials with the combination of shiny new materials. Again she has used scandinavian design patterns with London culture colours and a feel to it. Her signature 'more is more' style is evident here.
 I love the colours here they are primary colours. The use of primary colours to me is a way of exploring my childhood. I would use paint kits that came with blue, red, yellow and white/black paints. I first learnt how to mix paint with primary colours. Children are more alert to the boldness of primary colours.
Emma Lundgren<br />for Tokion Magazine
This looks so intricate. this inspires me to go onto the laser cutter! She has used a new range of materials to me it looks like a type of rubber due to its scaly yet shiny texture. Rubber is versatile and very tactile to be able to move and bend and be manipulated like that.
 
Colour editorial:
Colour EditorialColour Editorial
Colour Editorial
These fashion headpieces are a exploration of narrative and identity. She has used a variety of techniques here, knitting is predominant but it looks as though she has used material manipulation amongst the technique pushing it forward and making it unique. Knitting to me is about the intertwiningof two materials coming together, again another reference to my concept of past and present coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment